Water & Sewer System Operator 1 & 2 (Entry Level or Licensed)
Operator 1 (Entry Level)
Operator 1 range $16.50 to $20.50 per hour DOQ
Operator 2 (Licensed)
Operator 2 range $19.00 to $24.00 per hour DOQ
Reports to: Utility & Street Field Supervisor
Normal work hours: Fulltime, Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Join the City of Cave Springs, Arkansas Public Works Department in one of these essential positions for improving the water distribution systems, sanitary sewer collection systems, stormwater systems, streets, and parks to meet the City’s growing needs.
Cave Springs is one of the fastest growing and most prosperous cities in Arkansas, but it retains its small town charm with a population of approximately 6,000 people. The area is rich in history and full of outdoor recreational opportunities. Cave Springs is located within minutes of the Northwest Arkansas metro area of 546,725 people which has a vibrant business community including corporate headquarters for Walmart, Tyson Foods, JB Hunt, Daisy Outdoor Products, and Car-Mart. Geographically Cave Springs is on the Springfield Plateau of the Ozark Mountains only 6 miles from the XNA national airport, within 25 miles of the University of Arkansas and 3 other colleges, and less than 60 miles to 10 state and national parks and forests. Highly rated Bentonville Public Schools and Rogers Public Schools provide K-12 education for Cave Springs. Enjoy the peaceful City of Cave Springs which was ranked as the safest city in Arkansas.
The Water & Sewer System Operators report to the Utility & Street Field Supervisor and participate in the installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of the water utilities, sewer utilities, and stormwater systems. They also assist in the maintenance of streets and public parks. They work independently at times and as team members at times. They efficiently and effectively complete work in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements. They must use sound judgment and time management.
This position is a field position with technical tasks and unskilled tasks. At times, they will be involved in leading other personal in field duties. Positively engaging teamwork, assisting in employee training, and providing excellent service in the field are essential in these positions.
- Pay raise after 90 days
- Overtime pay or comp time option
- On-call pay and Call-out pay
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- Paid heath, vision, dental insurance (employee 100%, family 80%)
- Paid life insurance
- Professional conferences. License and certification training and renewal.
- State employee retirement (APERS)
- Coordinates with Utility & Street Field Supervisor and Public Works personnel.
- Responsible for field work results both independently and as a team member.
- Attends professional conferences and training as required.
- Demonstrates a culture of customer service and professional cooperation.
- Assesses job sites and uses safe working procedures.
- Installs, operates, maintains, and troubleshoots water distribution systems, sanitary sewer collection systems, stormwater systems and their components.
- Assists in maintenance of streets, parks, and City buildings.
- Ensures equipment, and materials are properly maintained, stocked, and inventoried.
- Assists in employee training.
- Performs other duties and tasks as required or assigned.
General Minimum Qualifications:
- High school graduate or General Education Diploma (GED).
- Must pass a background investigation including a good driving record and drug test.
- Must have a driver’s license valid in the state of Arkansas.
- Must have or obtain an Arkansas Class B or higher CDL with air brake endorsement within six (6) months of the start of employment.
- Must have or obtain certification as a Competent Person Excavation within one (1) year of the start of employment.
- Must have or obtain certification as a Traffic Flagger within one (1) year of the start of employment.
- Available for standby and callout rotation.
Operator 1 Minimum Qualifications:
- 18 years of age.
- Must have or obtain an Arkansas Grade I or higher Water Distribution System Operator license within one (1) year.
- Must have or obtain an Arkansas Grade II or higher Water Distribution System Operator license within two (2) years.
- Must have basic mechanical skills and the aptitude to develop water distribution system maintenance and repair knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Operator 2 Minimum Qualifications:
- 21 years of age.
- Must have or obtain an Arkansas Grade I or higher Water Distribution System Operator license before start of employment
- Must have or obtain an Arkansas Grade II or higher Water Distribution System Operator license within one (1) year.
- One (1) year firsthand experience in distribution system maintenance and repair.
May consider any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Note: All City of Cave Springs employees are required to provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain cooperative and effective working relationships, have non-disruptive regular and reliable attendance, and act in a safe manner at all times.
A background investigation will be conducted before employment can begin.
A full job description and application are available by contacting the Mayor by mail or email.
Please submit a completed application/resume, with salary history, via mail or email to:
Mayor Randall J. Noblett
City of Cave Springs
PO Box 36
Cave Springs, AR 72718
Phone: (479) 248-1040 Ext.6
Cell: (479) 644-3149