Law Clerk (Part Time 20 hrs) 2022-02109
CITY OF FAYETTEVILLE-HR Fayetteville, AR Full-time Legal
Posted on September 17, 2022
CITY ATTORNEY (021)
- Essential Job Duties
- Provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees (especially members of his or her own team), and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive.
- Under general supervision, assists in research and composing for various civil and criminal cases, involving violation of and enforcement of City ordinances before the District Court and on appeal to the Circuit Court.
- Interview citizen complaints and review those cases with Prosecutor.
- Create complaint folders & enter data in Prosecutor Index.
- Prepare warning letters & Prosecutor Subpoenas as directed by Prosecutor.
- Research criminal cases & prepare motions & briefs for District Court & Circuit Court.
- Answer phone- scheduling interviews or direct calls to appropriate person, department or agency.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Secondary Job Duties
- Perform secondary duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Position is designed for a law student. Must be currently enrolled in law school.
- Must Obtain Rule XV certification in order to do plea negotiations with attorneys.
- Must have the ability to clearly and concisely communicate both in writing and orally.
- Must be proficient in the use of a personal computer and other related software programs
- Must be able to effectively operate standard office equipment.
- Must be a self-starter who is motivated to perform consistently at a high level and who has the ability to work on several different tasks simultaneously.
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, stand, walk, and sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities to accomplish computer and office work.